[IPython-user] strange issues...

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Sat Aug 18 15:48:04 CDT 2007

On 8/18/07, fred <fredmfp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I get strange issues (ie I don't understand):
>
> 1) Using the -p option seems to break some magic:
>
> If I type %p + TAB, I get:
>
> In [1]: %p
> %p        %pdb      %pdoc     %pinfo    %profile  %psearch  %pwd
> %page     %pdef     %pfile    %popd     %prun     %pushd    %pycat
>
> without -p option, and
>
> In [1]: %p
> %page     %pdb      %pinfo    %popd     %profile  %prun     %psearch
> %pushd    %pwd      %pycat
>
> with -p option.

It's because the default profile is different, it leaves these
"unnecessary" magics around for backwards compatibility/familiarity.
If you always want them, add "import ipy_legacy" to your
ipy_user_conf.py.

> 2) issue with aliases
>
> I want to define a few aliases such as
>
> p = 'cd -'
>
> q = 'cd ..'
>
> like the aliases I use under tcsh.
>
> The problem is that using these aliases does not update the current
> working directory.

Only the "magic" cd works that way. You need to define %macro for these.

> I guess this is related to the subshell (the subshell goes to dir, but
> when it
> exits, cwd in ipython has not been modified, of course).

Exactly.

> Should I define my own magic ?

That, a function, or a macro as I said.