[IPython-user] Time for documentation infrastructure overhaul?

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Tue Aug 21 16:55:24 CDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 09:52:43PM +0200, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 8/21/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I've been looking into this recently already, esp. now that
> > > python-dev made the transition, so much of the groundwork is now done
> > > and (hopefully) reasonably tested.  The person who did the lion's
> >
> > Ah, I see. It's a rather recent, but apparently succesful effort.
> > Places to look:
> >
> > http://svn.python.org/projects/doctools/ (the actual software)
>
> I've now tried this tool, and I have to say it's probably easier to
> write a direct custom mapping from LyX to ReST than it would be to
> hack the doctools utility for our purposes. Luckily the LyX syntax
> used seems to be rather simple.

Here's a link to a docbook -> rst converter (LyX can export to
docbook):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.docutils.devel/4121

An easier approach may be Pandoc:

http://sophos.berkeley.edu/macfarlane/pandoc/

"""
Pandoc is a Haskell library for converting from one markup format to
another, and a command-line tool that uses this library. It can read
markdown and (subsets of) reStructuredText, HTML, and LaTeX, and it
can write markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, RTF,
DocBook XML, groff man, and S5 HTML slide shows.
"""

Cheers
Stéfan