[IPython-user] Moving to Python-based configuration files

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Fri Aug 24 12:40:24 CDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@laposte.net> wrote:

> I am in the process of migrating from ipythonrc to ipy_user_conf.py
> for configuring IPython (0.8.1) on the various computers, mostly to
> gain flexibility. However, I ran into a problem: as soon as I uncomment

Great!

>         import ipy_defaults
>
> to disable ipythonrc, ipython ignores the "colors" option given on
> the command line. I can still change the color scheme inside
> ipy_user_conf.py, and I can still use the magic command %colors
> inside ipython.
>
> Is this a bug? Is there any workaround?

It's a result of command line args being handled before the now style
config files, and therefore the config files override the behaviour of
command line args.

It's sort of a bug. Rather than fixing it (it's behing DPyGetOpt,
which sucks), I'd rather implement a more flexible workaround.

- The 'backwards compatible' way is not to use ipy_defaults.
- You could create your own profile, say 'ipy_profile_shnocolor',
where you would do

ip = ...
import ipy_profile_sh
ip.magic('colors NoColor')

- I'll probably implement something more flexible soon, say

ipython -x "%colors NoColor"

where after x you have statements.

- These will be executed inside ipython after configuration (profiles etc.)
- This will leave ipython prompt open (as opposed to just running .ipy
files, which exits at the end).