[IPython-user] Moving to Python-based configuration files

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 24 12:55:53 CDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a result of command line args being handled before the now style
> config files, and therefore the config files override the behaviour of
> command line args.
>
> It's sort of a bug. Rather than fixing it (it's behing DPyGetOpt,
> which sucks), I'd rather implement a more flexible workaround.

This is not 'sort of a bug'.  This is a HUGE bug: new-style profiles
kill command-line options, which defeats the purpose of having them in
the first place.  Command-line flags are necessary for easy overrides
of behavior, and many users use them everywhere in their workflow.

Before we start telling people to migrate to a new system, the new
system needs to actually work.

We can't keep on introducing new things onto our users that keep on
breaking existing things that are documented, described in articles
and tutorials, and that they even rely on in scripts they've been
using for years.

IPython has a reasonable reputation for working correctly.  Let's not
start squandering that.

So let's find a solution to this problem that isn't simply "all your
command line flags are actually being ignored, despite what the man
page, the online manual and the tutorials say".