[IPython-user] problem between ipython SVN and PIL

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 29 20:07:02 CDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Johann Cohen-Tanugi <cohen@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> hello,
> I am having the following runtime crash with recent svn version of ipython :
> [cohen@localhost ASPWORK]$ ipython
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/ipython", line 26, in <module>
>     import IPython
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/IPython/__init__.py", line 57,
> in <module>
>     __import__(name,glob,loc,[])
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/IPython/Shell.py", line 35, in
> <module>
>     import ctypes
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 20, in
> <module>
>
> Exception: ('Version number mismatch', '1.0.2', '1.0.1')
>
> Is that a problem with the PIL RPM available in the yum repository?

I'm not exactly sure how you're getting that traceback that includes
PIL from calling just ipython.  But the error you get certainly seems
like a problem in ctypes.  The ctypes init code reads:

__version__ = "1.0.2"

from _ctypes import Union, Structure, Array
from _ctypes import _Pointer
from _ctypes import CFuncPtr as _CFuncPtr
from _ctypes import __version__ as _ctypes_version
from _ctypes import RTLD_LOCAL, RTLD_GLOBAL
from _ctypes import ArgumentError

from struct import calcsize as _calcsize

if __version__ != _ctypes_version:
    raise Exception, ("Version number mismatch", __version__, _ctypes_version)

so it seems like you have a _ctypes that provides __version__ as 1.0.1
while ctypes thinks it's 1.0.2.

You may be able to track this better by just trying out

python -c 'import ctypes'

and similar things with PIL, since the problem here isn't really
ipython but something in your system.

cheers,