[IPython-user] problem with unicode and the compile function in ipython

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Dec 12 16:20:02 CST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 11:06 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> sys.setdefaultencoding() should not be used under any circumstances.
> sys.setappdefaultencoding() is not in any standard Python distribution. It
> appears that the IDE Eric installs this as an alias to sys.setdefaultencoding()
> in sitecustomize.py:
>
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=pykde&m=105120541102058&w=2
>
> Please, revert this change.

Ok, will do.

setappdefaultencoding was not run for me either. My googling for
setdefaultencoding() didn't seem to make it look quite so bad; though
the fact that site.py removes it from sys may be an indication of such
a thing. ;-)

On a related note, I've started unicode-ifying various parts of
IPython (which should make hacks like the previous one unnecessary). I
think I will start a new branch for that work, because it *will* break
stuff.