[IPython-user] completion on record array dtype names

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Mon Dec 17 15:15:57 CST 2007

numpy does not expose the dtype names to tab completion on record
arrays, in part because Travis has not figure out how he wants to
handle resolution in case the name clashes with a numpy method, eg
"mean".  But it should be possible in ipython using a custom completer
to feed the dtype.names list into the completer if the type is a
record array.  I am hoping an ipython custom completer guru can help
me out here.  I would like to bind a custom key, eg CTRL TAB, to
compete on dtype names, eg something like

if hasattr(obj, 'dtype') and obj.dtype.names is not None:
    ...complete on obj.dtype.names

JDH