[IPython-user] Tab completion and number of rows/columns displayed

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Dec 20 02:44:01 CST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 11:42 AM, Jesus Aguillon <jesus@aguillon.com> wrote:
> When I do tab completion, it looks like in 0.8.1 everything is laid out in 3
> nice columns, whereas in 0.8.2 everything seems to scroll off to the right.
> In 0.8.1 everything is laid out in 3 columns  and multiple rows whereas in
> 0.8.2 I will sometimes get one very long row, or 4 very long rows and a
> bunch of columns.
>
> For example:
> import os
>
> os.<TAB>  gives me 3 columns in 0.8.1 and many rows
> os.<TAB> gives me many columns and 4 rows (so I have to scroll off to the
> right).
>

> Is there a configuration parameter that controls how this works?  I am on
> Windows XP2 and I upgraded from 0.8.1 to 0.8.2.

I'm afraid the problem isn't visible under  linux, but perhaps Jorgen
will be able to suggest something.  In the meantime, I suspect it
would be useful for him if you can provide the version of pyreadline
you're using in both cases.  If you are NOT using the latest (1.5),
please upgrade from

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/pyreadline-1.5.win32.exe

and let us know if the problem persists.