[IPython-user] completion on record array dtype names

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Thu Dec 20 10:01:52 CST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 3:25 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:

> So far, custom completers have been implemented for non-python objects
> (where string recognition is enough), but this looks like a good
> reason to create an additonal custom completer method for python
> objects, using simplegeneric (add complete_object generic to
> IPython/generics.py, and on python object completer try calling the
> complete_object).
>
> I'll add that when I have the time.

Done in r2897:

http://ipython.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/changeset/2897

(I hope the mechanism for creating new completers based on generic
functions is clear enough from the changeset).

It also corrected a nasty bug in 0.8.2: readline terminates when it
gets the same string twice as completion, and since we had __class__
twice for some reason, completions that came after __class__ never
appeared! Perhaps this is only pyreadline bug though?

In any case, we call 'uniq' on the completion list and voila', we get
all the completions.