[IPython-user] Couldn't send a message to the list through Gmane

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez@colorado....
Wed Dec 26 14:58:59 CST 2007

Hi,

On Dec 26, 2007 9:39 AM, Diaa Sami <diaasami@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having some problems with IPython and I tried to send a message to the list via Gmane but it didn't show up on the list, do you block messages from Gmane? in this case I'll have to subscribe manually to the list..

No, we don't block gmane specifically, but we do generically block
posts from non-subscribers (otherwise the spam flood was out of
control).   As per

http://gmane.org/post.php

and more secifically:

"""These are mailing lists that don't accept messages from
non-subscribers. If you try to post to either of these kinds of
groups, you'll get a bounce message from Gmane informing you of
this."""

I think you'll need to subscribe to post.  You can always subscribe
and change later, as they suggest:

"""Some non-public mailing lists allow you to subscribe, and then
alter the status of the subscription so that it doesn't actually send
you any mail. You can then read the group via Gmane, and post to the
list "manually" -- by sending mail directly to the mailing list."""

In fact, if you've subscribed I'm pretty sure that later you can post
via a news reader, as long as you've configured it to post using the
address you subscribed with.  This would let you use gmane+news reader
for everything and not get any emails.