[IPython-user] IPython in XEmacs now working on Windows

Nicolas Pernetty nicopernetty@yahoo...
Mon Feb 5 19:57:36 CST 2007

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:22:23 +0000, Pete Forman
<pete.forman@westerngeco.com> wrote :

> I've applied that patch by hand and pylab seems to work okay.  Thanks.
>
> XP Pro SP2
> XEmacs native 21.5.17
> python-mode.el 4.79
> ipython.el 1851
> Python 2.5
> IPython 0.7.3 + patch
> wxPython Unicode 2.6.3.3
>

> ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc has one changed line
>
> backend      : WxAgg
>

> These emacs variables set using customize
>
> py-python-command-args
> ("-pylab" "-colors" "LightBG")
> ipython-command
> "d:/Program Files/Python25/Scripts/ipython.bat"

I don't have to customize this particular variable : if you put your
directory in your PATH environment var, ipytohn.el/python-mode.el will
find your ipython by themselves !

> After starting XEmacs, enter this in *scratch*
>
> (require `ipython)
>

> There are a few niggles.
>
> 1) I failed putting (require `ipython) in ~/.xemacs/init.el (formerly
> ~/.emacs).  There was an error about py-shell-map being undefined.
> Perhaps using an autoload might make things smoother.

I don't have this problem, and neither have my co-workers.
Can you try with a vanilla init.el ?

> 2) py-python-command-args means that vanilla CPython does not work.
> We should look at falling in line with Jython handling in python-mode.
> It uses separate variables for each interpereter and switches using
> py-default-interpreter.

Right, this is a real problem.

> 3) The initial state of the interpreter is as if 'from pylab import *'
> has been done.  My preference is to explicitly enter 'import pylab'.

I don't really care about this particular point.
I let the others decide...

Thanks a lot for your help,