[IPython-user] ipython terminal weirdness

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Feb 7 12:57:21 CST 2007

On 2/7/07, Lev Givon <lev@columbia.edu> wrote:
> I have noticed that ipython occasionally appears to derange the
> terminal in which it was started insofar that its output no longer
> contains any newlines. Resetting the terminal (via !reset) temporarily
> clears the problem.
>
> Is this behavior indicative of some terminal setting misinteraction,
> or does it seem like a bug in ipython? I am running ipython 0.7.3 on
> Linux; my TERM is set to xterm. I have observed the above behavior in
> earlier versions of ipython.

I've also seen it on occasion, and I really wish I knew what the hell
causes it so I could fix it for good, as it drives me nuts.  But I
don't have the foggiest clue as to what actually triggers the problem:
it seems pretty random and isn't frequent enough that I've been able
figure out what's going on.

So if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears...