[IPython-user] ipython terminal weirdness

Lev Givon lev@columbia....
Wed Feb 7 13:17:10 CST 2007

Received from Fernando Perez on Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:57:21PM EST:
> On 2/7/07, Lev Givon <lev@columbia.edu> wrote:
> >I have noticed that ipython occasionally appears to derange the
> >terminal in which it was started insofar that its output no longer
> >contains any newlines. Resetting the terminal (via !reset) temporarily
> >clears the problem.
> >
> >Is this behavior indicative of some terminal setting misinteraction,
> >or does it seem like a bug in ipython? I am running ipython 0.7.3 on
> >Linux; my TERM is set to xterm. I have observed the above behavior in
> >earlier versions of ipython.
>
> I've also seen it on occasion, and I really wish I knew what the hell
> causes it so I could fix it for good, as it drives me nuts.  But I
> don't have the foggiest clue as to what actually triggers the problem:
> it seems pretty random and isn't frequent enough that I've been able
> figure out what's going on.
>
> So if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears...
>
> Cheers,

Perhaps ipython is emitting some escape sequence in order to colorize
output that actually redefines (i.e., blanks) the terminal's
representation of the linefeed character?

							L.G.