[IPython-user] ipython terminal weirdness

Mikhail Terekhov termim@gmail....
Wed Feb 7 21:15:28 CST 2007

On 2/7/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/07, Lev Givon <lev@columbia.edu> wrote:
> > I have noticed that ipython occasionally appears to derange the
> > terminal in which it was started insofar that its output no longer
> > contains any newlines. Resetting the terminal (via !reset) temporarily
> > clears the problem.
> >
> > Is this behavior indicative of some terminal setting misinteraction,
> > or does it seem like a bug in ipython? I am running ipython 0.7.3 on
> > Linux; my TERM is set to xterm. I have observed the above behavior in
> > earlier versions of ipython.
>
> I've also seen it on occasion, and I really wish I knew what the hell
> causes it so I could fix it for good, as it drives me nuts.  But I
> don't have the foggiest clue as to what actually triggers the problem:
> it seems pretty random and isn't frequent enough that I've been able
> figure out what's going on.
>
> So if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears...

It looks like some readline clean up is not done sometimes. It happens all
the time if you
run the following script and interrupt it with Cntrl-C:

# start test.py
from subprocess import call
call('ipython')
# end test.py

if you re-raise the KeyboardInterrupt exception in
InteractiveShell.interact(file
iplib.py) this dosen't
happen.

Regards,