[IPython-user] Getting IPython working with NTEmacs

R. Bernstein rocky@panix....
Mon Feb 12 10:57:42 CST 2007

I'd like a couple days to look over.

I've long thought the lack of a space at the end of the prompt a
little odd since it's different from the way pdb works, if not prompts
in general.

As for the changes to pydb-pydbtrack-input-prompt, I should double
check with what is in pydb.el. I know with Bash debugger GNU Emacs
interface, bashdb.el, there's this problem right now where there are 3
versions: one that comes with bashdb, one that comes with Bash and one
that comes with (or will come with) GNU Emacs. We are working on
removing two out of those 3. I hope we don't have a similar problem
here with pydb-pydbtrack-input-prompt. Also, recently in the pydb
space I've started adding a little unit test for that code. In
particular checking over the regular expressions. Probably a little
unit test should be added here as well.

As for the "run -d" with pydb, originally we were trying to make that
work and gave up as a result of reworking all of the extra hackery in
ipython that should probably be in pdb, but isn't because pdb doesn't
change all that often. So instead %pydb is the preferred way to run
pydb. Personally I'd be fine with having "run -d" just invoke pdb (and
perhaps give a warning if pydb is around that there is a %pydb magic.)

Pydb should be consistent in its use of the output stream. (If not
it's a bug, but I don't think is the case for "list".) There are these
common routines errmsg and msg which are used for that. This is
because you don't know where the output may go, it could go to a
socket to a remote process or to a file or over a serial port. I
couldn't figure out what the right thing on the ipython side was to
get the colors right. So thanks for this.

As for pydb's frame output, I generally try to follow gdb, not pdb. In
fact it generally *helps* front ends that support multiple
languages/debuggers because there is less variation in handling
them. That certainly was the case with ddd. It's been helpful also say
in Emacs since the same or very similar regular expressions can be
used. (However I don't know if the issue here is an ipython formatting
issue rather than a pdb versus gdb issue.)

Finally I should say that in another day there will be another release
of pydb (1.21) it has lots of little usability changes (which I hope
will make things much better). Things like better command completion
and help using pydoc and automatic Python script resolution for
executables. I haven't specifically tested the ipython interaction
(yet).