[IPython-user] buffering of %run <script> output after modification

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Feb 13 01:41:05 CST 2007

On 2/12/07, Lev Givon <lev@columbia.edu> wrote:
> I have noticed that modifying a Python script containing calls to
> subroutines that write to stdout after executing it once via the %run
> directive from within ipython somehow causes the output of subsequent
> %run invocations of the script to be buffered (i.e., and only
> displayed after the script finishes running). Is this expected behavior?
>
> I am using ipython 0.7.3 on Linux.

Mmh, I haven't really noticed, no.  The buffering of stdout should be
something that ipython doesn't really modify in any way, especially
because it's a variable that (as far as I know) is only tweakable when
python itself starts up.  Try:

python -u `which ipython`

this will run ipython with unbuffered output.

But perhaps there is a way to change the buffering status of stdout
that I'm not aware of.  If this is really happening, it was certainly
not intentional.