[IPython-user] Having the functionality of -pylab is user-defined config file

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Feb 14 00:12:41 CST 2007

On 2/13/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am finally taking a look at the new way of doing user profile. I
> would like my user profile to have the same ability than -pylab
> (automatically show matplotlib figures and so on), but I am not sure how
> to do it. Does ipython exposes an API to do that in an user profile, or
> should I simply copy the code in Shell.py ?

No, that functionality isn't really separated out into clean modular
pieces, I'm afraid.  Partly because I was lazy, partly because it
requires run-time analysis of your matplotlibrc settings to detect
your GUI backend /before/ ipython is started up, so we can decide
which threading system to initialize.

So a pure profile-based solution isn't going to be very concise, unfortunately.