[IPython-user] Having the functionality of -pylab is user-defined config file

Wed Feb 14 00:36:28 CST 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> No, that functionality isn't really separated out into clean modular
> pieces, I'm afraid.  Partly because I was lazy, partly because it
> requires run-time analysis of your matplotlibrc settings to detect
> your GUI backend /before/ ipython is started up, so we can decide
> which threading system to initialize.
>
> So a pure profile-based solution isn't going to be very concise,
> unfortunately.
>
> Cheers,

I actually noticed by accident that doing a ipython -pylab -p sigproc
works as expected (I guess this is possible because -pylab is indeed not
a profile). Is this "safe", really equivalent to what I have in mind, or
it there a catch ?

David