[IPython-user] Having the functionality of -pylab is user-defined config file

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Feb 14 00:46:17 CST 2007

On 2/13/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
> > No, that functionality isn't really separated out into clean modular
> > pieces, I'm afraid.  Partly because I was lazy, partly because it
> > requires run-time analysis of your matplotlibrc settings to detect
> > your GUI backend /before/ ipython is started up, so we can decide
> > which threading system to initialize.
> >
> > So a pure profile-based solution isn't going to be very concise,
> > unfortunately.
> >
> > Cheers,

> I actually noticed by accident that doing a ipython -pylab -p sigproc
> works as expected (I guess this is possible because -pylab is indeed not
> a profile). Is this "safe", really equivalent to what I have in mind, or
> it there a catch ?

This is perfectly safe, and it's what I do routinely.  In fact, I have
a system alias:

tlon[07_cise]> which pylab
pylab:   aliased to ipython -pylab -p pylab

where the pylab /profile/ loads a bunch of extra things I like to have
around when using ipython for numerical work (which is ~90% of my
ipython runs).

You should consider -pylab and -{w,g,q,q4}thread to be special flags
that control the ipython startup process, but are not profiles.
That's also why they MUST be the first flag, since they need to be
handled by special code before ipython itself has been initialized.