[IPython-user] IPython under ntemacs -- step by step?

DaveS davls@telus....
Tue Feb 27 23:19:36 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27 2007, Mike Krell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there were some recent messages here regarding getting ipython
> to run under gnu emacs for windows (ntemacs).  I'd really love to do
> this.
>
> Can someone fill me in on how well this works and exactly what
> versions of ipython, ntemacs, and python-mode.el (or python.el) I need
> to get this running?  Step by step instructions would be the ideal,
> but I suspect they're not available.
>
> I searched for this on the ipython wiki with no luck.  If someone
> could give me a pointer, I'll be glad to write up more detailed
> instructions and post them on the wiki.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Mike

You don't specify how far you've managed to get so I'll assume not very.

I'm using
    * WinXPsp2
    * emacs 21.3.1
    * python2.5
    * ipython 0.7.3
    * python-mode.el 4.79

I had to created a file "ipython.cmd" in the python scripts directory to get
emacs to interact properly with ipython.
@C:\Python25\python.exe -i "C:\Python25\Scripts\ipython"

1. make sure ipython works from the cmd shell.

2. edit your .emacs to load ipython
(eval-after-load "python-mode"
  '(progn
     (setq ipython-command "c:/python25/scripts/ipython")
     (require 'ipython)
     ))

3. load "python-mode" and start a py-shell.  You should get an ipython prompt.

4. if you see "^A^B" junk in the output (I did) add the following to your
   .emacs file to clean it up.
(defun my-strip-ctrl-a-ctrl-b (string)
  "Remove `^A' and `^B' characters from STRING.
These characters may show up in some shell output.  This function can be placed
on `comint-preoutput-filter-functions'."
  (replace-in-string string "[\C-a\C-b]" ""))

(defun my-py-shell-hook ()
  ;; ipython in NT emacs has display problems, this cleans the output.
  (add-hook 'comint-preoutput-filter-functions 'my-strip-ctrl-a-ctrl-b))
(add-hook 'py-shell-hook 'my-py-shell-hook)

I have other stuff to customize the display, but this is basically all I did
to get it working.  (I've made a lot of changes, so I may be forgetting
something, but hopefully not)

Getting the fancy pdb tracking stuff working is a bit more difficult, but I
can give you the details afterwards if you want.

--
DS