[IPython-user] IPython Color help on windows cmd shell

eric jones eric@enthought....
Wed Feb 28 13:27:59 CST 2007

Hey group,

I am teaching a few courses coming up, and want to use IPython as the
shell.  I've found that the white background with dark text is more
visible on overhead monitors, and would like to setup IPython in this
way.  When I set my CMD terminal to use a white background with black
text, IPython continues to write out its input/output lines with black
backgrounds.

Searching the net showed several threads also discussing these problems
along with much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the, errr., sub-par
quality of the DOS shell.  I didn't however find the solution.  Is there
one?  If so, I'm sure this has something to do with my
pyreadlineconfig.ini file or some other config file, but I haven't
managed to find the magic incantations yet.  The pyreadlineconfig.ini
file has 'set_prompt_color' and 'set_input_color' commands that don't
seem to have an impact.  I also found the 'colors' setting in
ipythonrc.ini, and set it to LightBG.  That did change colors for text,
but thebackground continued printing black.

I'm sure someone will suggest the obvious solution of switching to Linux
(or Mac). :-)  Someday maybe, but not this one.

thanks,
eric