[IPython-user] IPython Color help on windows cmd shell

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Feb 28 14:22:47 CST 2007

Hi Eric,

On 2/28/07, eric jones <eric@enthought.com> wrote:
> Hey group,
>
> I am teaching a few courses coming up, and want to use IPython as the
> shell.  I've found that the white background with dark text is more
> visible on overhead monitors, and would like to setup IPython in this
> way.  When I set my CMD terminal to use a white background with black
> text, IPython continues to write out its input/output lines with black
> backgrounds.
>
> Searching the net showed several threads also discussing these problems
> along with much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the, errr., sub-par
> quality of the DOS shell.  I didn't however find the solution.  Is there
> one?  If so, I'm sure this has something to do with my
> pyreadlineconfig.ini file or some other config file, but I haven't
> managed to find the magic incantations yet.  The pyreadlineconfig.ini
> file has 'set_prompt_color' and 'set_input_color' commands that don't
> seem to have an impact.  I also found the 'colors' setting in
> ipythonrc.ini, and set it to LightBG.  That did change colors for text,
> but thebackground continued printing black.

Well, just to check with a clean slate, I built SVN versions of
IPython and PyReadline for win32/Python2.5 and put them up here:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/

I then installed under winxp (in my vmware sandbox) Python2.5 from
Python.org and added pyreadline and then ipython from the above
directory.  I had stripped my winxp clean of any other python
installations, so this was basically a 'new' install for everything.
No Enthought-egg install was present (I removed one that was spitting
out bizarre egg-related errors on screen)>

I can now set my colors to lightbg and the standard Python terminal to
a white background, and everything seems to work quite correctly.  I'm
attaching a screenshot for you to check.

So it all seems to work quite nicely with SVN for both pyreadline and
ipython, and with python2.5 (official).  If you need it for 2.4, it
should also work fine modulo having to manually add ctypes.  Let me
know if you need 2.4 win32 installers and I'll put them up as well.

If this does not work for you, let me know.

Best,