[IPython-user] ipython installation

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 10:41:52 CST 2007

On 1/1/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/1/07, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
> > Otherwise, I'd suspect that you may have a broken Python installation, because
> >   distutils is part of the standard library.  I just can't see another
> > possibility.
>
> Well, debian's python installation is broken by default, in that you
> need to install python-dev or somesuch to get distutils.

Good god, I wonder who had such a flash of brilliance and thought this
was a good idea!  It seems that Ubuntu (>= Dapper) changed things a
little bit, because while the python-dev package description still
reads

#
Includes the python distutils, which were in a separate package up to
version 1.5.2.
#

the actual list of installed files doesn't list anything
distutils-related, and the /usr/lib/python2.4/distutils files are
actually listed in the python2.4 (plain, not -dev) package.

Someone at Ubuntu had the common sense to fix this Debian craziness,
even if they didn't update the package description.

But thanks for the catch, it sounds like the most plausible
explanation for the OP's problem.  I'm surprised Debian does this.