[IPython-user] install from source

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Sun Jan 7 21:24:05 CST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to install a development version of ipython (python 2.4)
via SVN on my Mac (OS X 10.4.8) using the instructions at:

   http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Developer_Zone

In the version I had installed before (via easy_install), the
following files existed:

   /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/
{ipython,pycolor}

For instance, the ipython file contained:

   #!/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/
Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
   # EASY-INSTALL-ENTRY-SCRIPT:
'ipython==0.7.3','console_scripts','ipython'
   __requires__ = 'ipython==0.7.3'
   import sys
   from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

   sys.exit(
      load_entry_point('ipython==0.7.3', 'console_scripts', 'ipython')()
   )

The development install link above mentions the need to "symlink the
ipython startup script or alias it". I don't know what the ipython
startup script is. I'm also wondering if I need to create something
more sophisticated (as was done in the easy_install method). And
finally, do I need to do a similar trick for pycolor?

Thanks,

--b