[IPython-user] possible future features

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Wed Jan 10 02:06:09 CST 2007

Fernando,

I think being able to turn off the -pylab related "from pylab import
*" would be great, for as others have commented on various related
lists, there's good reason to force one to be explicit about which
calls are coming from where.

It seems I might be able to hack Shell.py here to get what I want now:

         exec ("import matplotlib\n"
               "import matplotlib.pylab as pylab\n"
               "from matplotlib.pylab import *") in user_ns

But this brings up another thing that would be really nice --- the
ability to clear the user namespace in a way beyond what %reset does
(touching more than just what %who shows) --- something akin to the
"Run" (F5) command that IDLE has when running w/o the -n option? I
can quit IPython and restart, but that feels messy (and it requires a
bit more work when using py-shell in emacs).

I'm also still pretty keen on at-particular-line debugging (IDLE has
a variant of this) but I realize that will take more time (and in
about 6 mos, if its still sitting around, maybe I'll work on it).

--b