[IPython-user] IPython in XEmacs now working on Windows

Nicolas Pernetty nicopernetty at yahoo.fr
Mon Jan 22 17:55:40 CST 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:14:29 +0100, Nicolas Pernetty
<nicopernetty at yahoo.fr> wrote :

> > The ^A and ^B are inserted by ColorANSI.py and assume that readline
> > is involved.  A ColorScheme without them is needed.  As an intermin
> > measure I hacked ansi-color.el to consume the extra codes.
> > Alternatively NoColor can be specified.
>
> I did a little digging on the Net, and we already had this issue
> before :
> http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2005-December/002985.html
>
> As it is explained here :
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2005-04/msg00030.html
> It seems that you're right and that it's due to ANSI color scheme.
> However in the case mentionned, it results in a patch to bash itself.
> So maybe here we would have to modify IPython ?

The same problem with 'bash' has led to a 'bash' patch :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2003-02/msg00046.html

Can we use the same patch : add a --noediting for "Do not use the GNU
readline library to read command lines when the shell is interactive."
And then leave aside the unwanted \001 and \002 and all the relevant
readline stuff when this option is used ?

I keep looking for the other problem (pylab freeze).

Regards,