[IPython-user] IPython in XEmacs now working on Windows

Nicolas Pernetty nicopernetty at yahoo.fr
Thu Jan 25 17:25:04 CST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:25:31 -0700, "Fernando Perez"
<fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote :

> > > I did a little digging on the Net, and we already had this issue
> > > before :
> > > http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2005-December/002985.html
> > >
> > > As it is explained here :
> > > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2005-04/msg00030.html
> > > It seems that you're right and that it's due to ANSI color scheme.
> > > However in the case mentionned, it results in a patch to bash
> > > itself. So maybe here we would have to modify IPython ?
> >
> > The same problem with 'bash' has led to a 'bash' patch :
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2003-02/msg00046.html
> >
> > Can we use the same patch : add a --noediting for "Do not use the
> > GNU readline library to read command lines when the shell is
> > interactive." And then leave aside the unwanted \001 and \002 and
> > all the relevant readline stuff when this option is used ?
> >
> > I keep looking for the other problem (pylab freeze).
>
> I'll leave it to Ville, Jorgen and the rest of the win32 gurus to sort
> out the details with you, but in principle the answer is: 'yes, if it
> fixes correctly a known win32 problem, a patch is welcome'.  As with
> all win32 hacks, the more cleanly isolated this code is, the happier
> we'll all be (at least me).

Ok I just want to add a command line option to IPython to inhibit
readline related commands (like the \001 and \002 in colorANSI.py).
As soon as one of the win32 gurus agrees for that, I'll work on it.

About the pylab freeze it seems that i's a Tkinter+Python+(X)emacs
problem because I've managed to use matplotlib interactively in Xemacs
with WxAgg (wxPython) backend instead of TkAgg.

It seems that Tkinter.Tk() starts a loop of some sort which cause Python
in (X)emacs to hang :
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-November/412301.html

Anyway as of today we can say that IPython + Matplotlib + wxPython +
Xemacs works on Windows !!! ;-)