[IPython-user] GtkDeprecationWarning

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Sun Jan 28 16:22:51 CST 2007

Hi,

I'm also getting a deprecation waring, but w/ Gtk.

When I fire up and exit ipython in pylab mode, I get these three
deprecation warnings:

On startup:

/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/IPython/Shell.py:648: GtkDeprecationWarning:
gtk.threads_init is deprecated, use gtk.gdk.threads_init instead

and

/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/IPython/Shell.py:662: GtkDeprecationWarning:
gtk.threads_enter is deprecated, use gtk.gdk.threads_enter instead

then on exit, I get:

/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/IPython/Shell.py:664: GtkDeprecationWarning:
gtk.threads_leave is deprecated, use gtk.gdk.threads_leave instead

By basically doing what it says, these warnings go away .. namely
changing lines 664, 662 and 664 to:

648: self.gtk.gdk.threads_init()
662: self.gtk.gdk.threads_enter()
664: self.gtk.gdk.threads_enter()

My gtk version is 2.10.3
I'm also running a recent (as of a few days ago) version of ipython
from svn.

-steve