[IPython-user] how to kill embedded ipython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jul 30 11:25:28 CDT 2007

On 7/30/07, dima Q <dimaqq@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to add ipython to a program where interactive interface is a very
> small part - I use it mostly for debugging. I want to be able to add ipython
> in such a way that when the program decides to exit (due to gui action or
> network conditions), interactive interface exits too. I have ipython running
> in another thread.
>
> branch 1:
> I found a function shell.IP.exit(), and setting conirm_exit=False,
> however when I do these, ipython thread waits in readline()
> before actually exiting
>
> branch 2:
> I set threading.Thread.setDaemon (True) on the thread where I run ipython,
>  however when thread program exits terminal is left in a broken state by
> readline
>
> Any suggestions how I could implement what I want here?

Honestly I don't know.  I do know that readline is finicky with
threads, because in the past there have been thread-related bugs in
the core readline module (discovered by ipython users, in fact).
Those bugs were fixed long ago, but I mention it because it means that
readline and threads aren't necessarily a trivial mix.

However, if you figure out a clean solution, by all means let us know,
and even better, post it on the cookbook:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook

I'm sure others would find the information useful.

As Ville said, it's possible that under Win32 something better could
be done, since we have full control over readline there.  But on POSIX
where we ride on Python's readline, I just don't know, sorry.