[IPython-user] Beginner questions (mostly about history)

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Jun 6 12:46:13 CDT 2007

On 6/6/07, Gerhard Fiedler <gelists@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The up arrow gives you stuff from readline history, which don't end up
> > in the input history structure of IPython proper (they also don't have
> > an input history index number).
>
> Ok... sounds like I have to read up on readline then.

Don't bother, it's only a developer thing... you just need to know
that the history of previous sessions is kinda second class citizen
when compared with the history of current session.

> I'd like such a "shadow history". Maybe use a different command, since it
> is in essence a different list anyway. A configurable max number of entries
> would probably be a good thing, and a way to list the commands (possibly by
> last used date and alphabetically) would be helpful.

I wasn't thinking of anything that advanced yet; just something to
hold all the commands you have ever executed so that they don't get
lost. It will be searched by "%hist -g".

> >> - The directory history doesn't seem to be persistent between sessions,
> >> but I'd like it to be. Can this be done?
> >
> > It can be done. I'll add it to the 'sh' profile.
>
> Thanks. How do I know when you did it and how do I get the change?

Just follow the mailing list.

If you want all the new glitzy features, you'll need to install
Subversion and run

svn co http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk ipython

> > You don't have to "type the remainder to get something unique", just
> > enter one letter and press tab again to expand as much as can be
> > expanded unambiguously...
>
> Ah, makes sense; I might have confused some things when experimenting with
> it. I'll try it a while before I complain again :)

Do that, you'll never want to go back. I absolutely hate the windows
convention, esp. if you have 100 files starting with "a" and you press
tab after entering a. It's just a broken idea.