[IPython-user] Is ipython too nosy?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Mar 1 15:41:41 CST 2007

On 01 Mar 2007 21:00:22 +0000, Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> thanks for the feedback.
>
> "Fernando Perez" <fperez.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I don't have time right now for a detailed discussion, unfortunately, but
> > could you please try SVN trunk (r >= 2122)?

r >= 2124.  Brown-paper bag bugs...

> > So in general it is a good idea to have objects that respond as
> > robustly as possible to getattr() calls.
>
> Agreed, but you'll have to admit that mlabwrap might be forgiven for not
> handling access to attribues like "this('is" well ;)

Oh, absolutely.  I did agree that was a bug, no doubt.  And fixed it (I think :)

> BTW just as a half baked idea -- have you considered just running
> tokenizer.generate_tokens over the input lines (provided they don't start with
> "!") for ipython and work from that? I haven't found some quick overview of
> the syntax extensions ipython supports, but I would suspect the ones I am
> aware of could be implemented on top of a tokenstream from generate_tokens[1]
> and that this might make for simpler and more robust code and possibly a nicer
> interface for syntactic extensions. One benefit is that you'd get future
> lexical syntax supported for free, the other would be that IIRC in the past
> there have been possibly confusing bugs that resulted from ipython tokenizing
> things in a somewhat ad hoc manner at unexepcted occassions (such as this
> one), which presumably mostly involved getting confused by strings.

I have thought about it, but never really done anything.  Over the
next few weeks, after 0.7.4 is released (need to coordinate that with
the trunk team) I'm going to start moving trunk code over for a merge
with the saw branch.  Once all that restructuring is done and works,
we can think about ideas along these lines.  What I mean is: /I/ don't
have time right now to do it, but if you keep thinking about it, feel
free to drop a line, patch or put up a wiki page with notes.

regards,