[IPython-user] IPython Color help on windows cmd shell

Thomas Heller theller@ctypes....
Fri Mar 2 01:09:18 CST 2007

Fernando Perez schrieb:
> On 2/28/07, eric jones <eric@enthought.com> wrote:
>> Hey Fernando,
>>
>> Your screen shot is down right beautiful.
>>
>> As for the build, I'm unfortunately stuck in 2.4 world for at least
>> another month or two.  We're already shipping ctypes as an egg, so I
>> don't think that should be a problem...  Bryce, how hard is it to update
>> the eggs we distribute to the SVN versions of the packages he mentions?
>> It sounds like it would be an improvement for everyone.  If it is
>> complicated, then we'll take Fernando up on the offer to put 2.4 build
>> up on the site for us.
>
> OK, Stefan was nice enough to send me a ctypes win32 installer for
> py24, which I put up here:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/
>
> so that others can get it easily, since the main site seems down.

FYI, the starship which has ctypes homepage is down, but the downloads
are still available in the SF download section:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ctypes

> With that, I got the attached screenshot, after installing on a clean
> system (I removed the py25 installation first), in this order:
>
> 1. Python2.4 from Python.org
> 2. Ctypes from the above link.
> 3. Win32 extensions from https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/
> 4. pyreadline and IPython from the above link.
>
> So the system /does work/ for py24 and py25.  I'll leave it to Bryce
> to shoehorn this into your egg magic.

BTW: There seems to be a problem in IPython with unicode __doc__ strings;
this is on WinXP:

c:\svn\theller>ipy25
Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

IPython 0.7.4.svn.r2120 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: class X(object):
   ...:     u"the doc string"
   ...:
   ...:

In [2]: x = X()

In [3]: x??
T y p eX B a s e   C < c l a s s   ' _ _ mS t r i n g    < _ _ m a i n _ _ . X   o b j e cN a m e s pI n t e r a D o c s
 t r i n g   [ s o u r c e   f        t h e   d o

In [4]:
Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)? y

c:\svn\theller>

Thomas