[IPython-user] Detecting interactive mode reliably

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Mar 4 12:57:16 CST 2007

On 3/2/07, Francesc Altet <faltet@carabos.com> wrote:

> Yes. It does. However, we realized that others IDE environements can use other
> approaches so as to discover attributes (like dir()) without having
> the 'readline' loaded. Oh well, I guess that discovering when auto-completion
> is enabled in a general way is not going to be easy.

Yes, the notion of 'interactive' is going to be very difficult to
ascertain programatically.  For example, your pytables might be
accessed via the SAGE notebook:

http://sage.math.washington.edu:8100/

As far as you'll be able to tell, your code is just being imported by
a regular python process that has an HTTP server running.  And yet,
users will actually want to tab-complete, since the client will
translage JS TAB events into server attribute requests...