[IPython-user] Connecting to an open IPython shell remotely.

Anthony Roy home@antroy.co...
Tue Mar 6 15:46:11 CST 2007

Hi all,

I use IPython on a daily basis for python development, and have been
thinking about the networking features of IPython. I don't know a great
deal about the distributed computing setup of IPython, and so I'm
looking for a few pointers as to its capabilities.

I'm toying with the idea of a Slime-like setup for Python with Vim. The
train of thought gos something like this: Vim is extendable using
Python; IPython has networking capabilities for distributed computing;
Get Vim to connect to a running instance of IPython for a truly powerful
setup - i.e. push code to IPython from Vim rather than the (useful, but
less powerful) edit magic command.

Anyone familiar with the Slime mode for emacs for interacting with the
common lisp top-level (video on using it here http://tinyurl.com/2douro)
will kow what a powerful concept this is. Essentially, aside from the
obvious benefits of being able to send snippets of code (or whole
buffers) from vim to ipython, you'd be able to essentially control a
running python program (assuming it was started in an IPython shell)
from a remote machine on the network.

So my questions are these:

1) Can IPython be started in 'server' mode; i.e. so that remote
processes can connect to it through an API.

2) If so, can remote processes push code to the IPython shell

3) Where is the best place to start to get a handle on how to do this
sort of thing?

Anthony