[IPython-user] IPython-user Digest, Vol 41, Issue 10

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Mar 10 13:10:25 CST 2007

On 3/10/07, Tony Cappellini <cappy2112@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>It's worth mentioning for windows users that the full test suite will
> >>likely /never/ pass under windows.  It uses pexpect heavily, which is
> >>a *nix-only tool.
>
> There is a pure Python version of expect.

I think that's precisely pexpect:

http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/

Pexpect version 2.1
a Pure Python Expect-like module

That's what we use.  Note, however this:

Requirements for use of Pexpect

pty module

    Any POSIX system (UNIX) with a working pty module should be able
to run Pexpect. The pty module is part of the Standard Python Library,
so if you are running on a POSIX system you should have it. The pty
module does not run the same on all platforms. It should be solid on
Linux and BSD systems. I have taken effort to try to smooth the
wrinkles out of the different platforms. To learn more about the
wrinkles see Bugs and Testing.

Pexpect does not currently work on the standard Windows Python (see
the pty requirement); however, it seems to work fine using Cygwin. It
is possible to build something like a pty for Windows, but it would
have to use a different technique that I am still investigating. I
know it's possible because Libes' Expect was ported to Windows. If you
have any ideas or skills to contribute in this area then I would
really appreciate some tips on how to approach this problem.

####

I forgot to qualify my statement with /non cygwin/ Win32, but in my
mind cygwin is pretty much unix for most purposes.

I'm sure if anyone figures out how to get pexpect working under native
Win32, Noah will be happy to take the patches.

If you were referring to a different project, sorry for the confusion;
pexpect is the only one I'm aware of.

cheers,