[IPython-user] Colorizing lines in debuggers and post-mortem

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Mar 18 19:47:36 CDT 2007

On 2/17/07, R. Bernstein <rocky@panix.com> wrote:

[...]

> Below is a patch. But it is not really a proper patch for reasons
> listed below. It's more intended for folks to try out to get feedback.
>
> I think it helps; and in complicated cases where there are
> continuation lines and comments, it's no worse that what's currently
> there. But I'm not all that enthralled with the choice of colors. THe
> reserved words for LightBG is green -- almost the same as for line
> numbers. GNU emacs uses purple. And for comments GNU emacs uses brown
> which I think a little better than red.
>
> Here's why the patch isn't ideal.  First, it encorporates some of the
> previous unapplied patches which are needed at least to see this via
> %pydb. Since I liked this idea (aside from the color selections) and
> wanted to see what go further, I also made a change to UltraTB.py.
> Here I basically a copied of the same 4 or so lines added to
> Debugger.py, and since I couldn't figure out how to get the current
> color scheme in effect, I just hard-coded what I use: 'LightBG'.

This is great, many thanks!

I just committed it, with some reworks to catch a few small errors and
remove the 'lightbg' hardcoding you refer to.

Please beat on this a little if you can, in case I missed something.

The functionality is very nice :)