[IPython-user] Fwd: Preparing for the 0.7.4 release

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Mar 23 14:37:19 CDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson@bostream.nu> wrote:

> I have found more problems. Below is a transcript of a session in
> regular python with a cp850 terminal and ipython in the same terminal.
> As you can see there was a bug introduced recently that gives an
> exception in the prefilter code if the line starts with a string
> containing non-ascii characters, this worked a couple of days ago.

[...]

Ugh.

I can't look into it right now, so if anyone else can come up with a
good solution, by all means send it in...

It does look like the default python console does some extra work with
regards to unicode internally.

Removing Stefan's patch (iplib.py, line 1980):

        try:
            #line = raw_input_original(prompt).decode(sys.stdin.encoding)
            line = raw_input_original(prompt)

makes the input exception go away:

In [1]: "והצ"
Out[1]: '\xd7\x95\xd7\x94\xd7\xa6'

So we're basically still stuck.

The emacs issue is trival to fix, so I'm not worried about that one.
But finding something that handles all inputs properly doesn't look
trivial, at least not to a unicode ignoramus like myself.