[IPython-user] Search path used by run magic command

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Mar 28 19:23:30 CDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Tony Mannucci <Tony.Mannucci@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> When I execute the run magic command, I cannot tell what search path
> is being used. Is it possible to use associate a search path to
> "run"? In the version I am running (0.7.2) run does not search
> sys.path.
>
> Thanks for your help!

%run has no search path at all, you need to be explicit when you call
it.  Basically, think of

%run foo args

as being the equivalent, inside ipython, of typing at the system prompt

python foo args

but with the nice tracebacks, debugging, interactive loading of
variables from foo, etc.

If you want to run a file that's not in your local directory, you'd do

python /some/path/to/foo  args

and the same applies to %run.

Does that clarify things?