[IPython-user] Does import_some really work?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Mar 29 20:58:07 CDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Matthew Wilson <matt@overlook.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Hey Fernando,
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> As a work around, I'm using lots of execute statements in ipythonrc, such as
>
> execute import os, sys
> execute from aaa import bbb

Note that because of these limitations of the rc system, by now what I
use is instead something like the following (this is my 'pylab'
profile):

# Load default config
include ipythonrc

# pull the actual pylab config from pylab_extras (faster)
import_all pylab_extras

and I have a file named pylab_extras.py in ~/.ipython, where I can
nicely define anything I want, with normal python syntax.  Much
cleaner than the 'lots of execute statements' approach, I think.

> Anyhow, ipython is a fantastic tool.  I'm really interested in the next
> version, that involves sending messages to another process.  That idea
> reminds me of the SLIME lisp interface for emacs.

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm glad you find it useful.  Hopefully,
it will only get better :)

Regards,