[IPython-user] Chinese char width problem in pyreadline

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson@bostream...
Sat Nov 10 12:47:03 CST 2007

I have made some changes since the version I think you are using. Can
you update and try again?

I use two functions to go from unicode->str and str->unicode to get a
uniform treatment everywhere. We may have to change this at some point
but I think it is a good starting point to have a uniform treatment.

These functions are in pyreadline.unicode_helper
ensure_unicode converts str->unicode assuming pyreadline_encoding
ensure_str     converts unicode->str assuming pyreadline_encoding
pyreadline_encoding  contains the current encoding by default
sys.stdout.encoding

/Jörgen