[IPython-user] Files left open

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Nov 24 22:21:41 CST 2007

On Oct 23, 2007 4:56 AM, Ken Dere <kdere@gmu.edu> wrote:
> I often have files left open, such as when a piece of code bombs.  How
> can I find these files so that I can close them?

Once you have no references left to the file objects (a traceback
would hold such a ref, for example), the Python memory manager will
delete them.

If your script managed to create interactively visible variables with
these files, you can ask for those with 'whos':

In [5]: a=file('release.py')

In [6]: b=file('release.pyc')

In [7]: whos file
Variable   Type    Data/Info
a          file    <open file 'release.py', mode 'r' at 0x8663578>
b          file    <open file 'release.pyc', mode 'r' at 0x84d2f50>

In [8]: