[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] IPython 0.8.2 and PyReadline 1.5, getting ready for release...

wang frank fw3@hotmail.co...
Sun Nov 25 16:36:47 CST 2007

I really want to put something to let window users to configure the ipython inside xemacs and emacs. Unfortunately, it is beyond my capability. The python shell works fine with minimal effort. ipython is really tricky. After searching the answer for several days, I am still stuck at the output command. The ipython seems stopping to generate output for some command on the display. Since I do not know lisp and only used the emacs and xemacs for very short time, I really could not solve the problem.

I may have to use the default python shell and hopping someday I could solve this problem.

Thanks

Frank> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:32:40 -0700> From: fperez.net@gmail.com> To: fw3@hotmail.co.jp> Subject: Re: [IPython-user] [IPython-dev] IPython 0.8.2 and PyReadline 1.5, getting ready for release...> CC: vivainio@gmail.com; ipython-user@scipy.org; ipython-dev@scipy.org> > On Nov 24, 2007 11:51 PM, wang frank <fw3@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:> >> > Just curious. Has anyone tested this release with xemacs 21.4.21 and emacs> > 22.1 in linux and window XP? I assume that it works out of box in linux.> > However, it will really help normal user if some details on how to make it> > work in window with xemacs and emacs.> > Actually, under gutsy emacs22 has problems loading python-mode at all,> so I can't easily test it. There are fixes for the issue (it was> discussed at length on the numpy list) but I'm using an outside> emacs23 snapshot so I can get proper XFT font support, so I don't> really care (and can't spend time on it).> > I used to be an XEmacs guy and had used this on and off without any> problems, but I haven't used XEmacs for a few months (since I switched> to CVS emacs for the font support). Now I just noticed that while> XEmacs seems to load ipython just fine, it won't connect to the X> server for matplotlib use (my default mode loads ipython -pylab). I> have no idea why emacs is OK with X11 but not XEmacs, I'd never seen> the error before.> > It would be *really nice* if our emacs/windows users could collect the> wisdom on how to make it correctly work in that platform, and post it> on the wiki. The cookbook would be a good place for this:> > http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook> > Note that for now, I've re-enabled wiki account creation in case> anyone wants to pitch in. The message on the page still says that> it's disabled, but it's not :) I'll turn it off again when the next> wave of spammers comes, perhaps for now the message will distract a> few of these cockroaches. But if any of you is willing to help on the> wiki with the emacs info, you should be able to make an account right> away.> > > One more question. Ipython is much better than the shell comes with python> > release. Why does python includes the ipython in it release?> > ipython is too big and too complex for realistic inclusion in the> standard library, I think. I've never tried to lobby for its> inclusion because I doubt they'd go for it, but feel free to ask them.> I should add that if I were Guido, I'd probably say no :) (the> reasons being that I wouldn't want such a large maintenance burden> inside the core code just for the interactive usage cases).> > Cheers,> > f