[IPython-user] crash of qt application only happens when ipython -qthread arg is used

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Nov 25 18:16:29 CST 2007

Hey Glen,

On May 14, 2007 11:24 AM, Glen W. Mabey <Glen.Mabey@swri.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using ipython 0.8.1 but have seen this problem with previous
> versions of ipython.
>
> When I %run a script from ipython when the -qthread option has been
> used, there is a segfault at about the time when the window should
> appear in the window manager.

> Core was generated by `/usr/local/bin/python2.5 /usr/local/bin/ipython -qthread'.
> #0  0x419368ae in ?? () from /usr/lib/libz.so.1
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x419368ae in ?? () from /usr/lib/libz.so.1
> #1  0x00000000 in ?? ()
>

> Versions include python 2.5.1, pyqt 3.17.2, qt 3.3.8 but there are a
> whole buncha other modules in use, including numpy (svn) and scipy (svn),
> so I'm not quite sure where to start.
>
> Any suggestions?  Note that there is no segfault when running the same
> commands but without the -qthread option.

Sorry that there was never any reply to this.  If you still see this
kind of problem with Qt and can send a self-contained script that we
can use to replicate the problem, I'd be happy to look into it (and
now Darren Dale, who's the matplotlib Qt expert, is part of our gang
as well).  But with the info you have so far it's pretty much
impossible to offer more.