[IPython-user] Still problems with Ctrl+C and threads in ipython 0.8 ?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Nov 25 18:18:50 CST 2007

On Jun 4, 2007 3:11 AM, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>     My understanding was that the problem of cross-thread signal was
> solved for ipython 0.8, at least for enabling Ctrl+C. Unfortunately, I
> still experience problems: sometimes, when I send ctrl+C, ipython
> acknowledges it, but cannot recover:
>
> KeyboardInterrupt - Press <Enter> to continue.
>
> Is this a know issue ?

Yes, unfortunately.  Basically, we may still have a lurking race
condition in that code that makes it possible for the signal to end up
in the wrong thread.  Cross-thread signal handling in python isn't
really supposed to work, so I'm not too hopeful that we'll ever have a
100% solid solution.  But I'd love to be proven wrong, and I've stated
many times how I am NOT a threads expert, so there's a good
opportunity in that code for someone who actually knows that stuff
well to help along.