[IPython-user] dumb question on installing ipython1

LUK ShunTim shuntim.luk@polyu.edu...
Sun Oct 7 09:03:05 CDT 2007

David Strozzi wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This is a fairly dumb question, reflecting more my python ignorance
> probably, but...
>
> I'm having trouble installing ipython1 on opensuse 10.3 (just
> released) on amd64 hardware.  I svn'ed the most recent ipython1, and
> ">python setup.py install" gives an error (see below).  My
> site-packages is in /usr/lib64/python/site-packages, but setup.py
> wants to use /usr/local/lib64/....  I tried changing this via
> --install-dir, which gives an error, and --prefix, which gives a
> mangled dirname still w/ /usr/local/lib64 at the front.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Is something setup wrong in distutils (not that I'd know exactly how
> to fix that)?  I noticed numpy has a distutils subdir with
> /usr/local/lib64/ in some file, according to grep.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> ***************
>
>> python setup.py install
> running install
> Checking .pth file support in /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/
> error: can't create or remove files in install directory
>
> The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
> installation directory:
>
>     [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/test-easy-install-16651.pth'
>
> The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
> the distutils default setting) was:
>
>     /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/
>
> This directory does not currently exist.  Please create it and try again, or
> choose a different installation directory (using the -d or --install-dir
> option).

I guess you may have to follow what it tells you. :-)

Try
	mkdir -p /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages
as root.

Non-root install is also possible. See
http://docs.python.org/inst/alt-install-windows.html

Regards,