[IPython-user] dumb question on installing ipython1

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Mon Oct 8 11:07:36 CDT 2007

> I'm having trouble installing ipython1 on opensuse 10.3 (just
> released) on amd64 hardware.  I svn'ed the most recent ipython1, and
> ">python setup.py install" gives an error (see below).  My
> site-packages is in /usr/lib64/python/site-packages, but setup.py
> wants to use /usr/local/lib64/....  I tried changing this via
> --install-dir, which gives an error, and --prefix, which gives a
> mangled dirname still w/ /usr/local/lib64 at the front.

I am not very familiar with how suse manages /usr and /usr/local.  Are
you sure that you don't have 2 versions of Python installed (one in
/usr and one in /usr/local)?  Maybe do a "locate python" and which
python to make sure you are using the right python?

> > python setup.py install
> running install
> Checking .pth file support in /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/
> error: can't create or remove files in install directory

This almost looks like a permissions problem.  What if you run:

$ sudo python setup.py install