[IPython-user] Configuring the pager

Paul Moore p.f.moore@gmail....
Sat Oct 13 17:30:12 CDT 2007

On 13/10/2007, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/07, Paul Moore <p.f.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 13/10/2007, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Setting the PAGER environment variable to the command you want to use
> > > should do the trick.  The code that gets the pager is in genutils.py:
> > [...]
> > > So if you set PAGER to anything that reasonably behaves like a pager,
> > > ipython will honor that.
> >
> > Excellent, thanks. On Windows, I tend not to like setting generic
> > environment variables like EDITOR, PAGER, etc, globally, but I can
> > certainly use a little wrapper script.
>
> Why?  Just curious.

It's mostly an issue with HOME, which I don't like having set because
there's no obvious value (I don't *use* a home directory on Windows
like I do on Unix). For other things like EDITOR and PAGER it's really
just irrational prejudice following on from that.

I guess on Windows, I'm just more comfortable with per-application
configuration.

Ultimately, it's irrational (and as I try to justify it, I realise
that more and more). But on the other hand, I'm comfortable with being
irrational :-)

Paul.