[IPython-user] strange issues...

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 7 12:53:51 CDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/7/07, fred <fredmfp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Those require the 'pysh' profile.  There's also a new 'sh' profile
> > > that does similar things, but isn't described in the manual,
> > > unfortunately.
> > >
> > Ok, thanks.
>
> Generally, %quickref is a more up-to-date source than manual.

This is really becoming a problem: we have a codebase whose
documentation is rapidly falling behind.  A scatter of wiki pages and
docstrings a manual does not make.

I see two options:

1. Continuing to use LyX (it's available for free on all platforms)
and keep the main manual up to date.

2. Exporting the latex sources (trivially generated from lyx) to
another format and then keeping a manual that is actually contributed
to by all developers.

We really need to commit to not producing code that isn't
consistently, cleanly documented in an easy to find way for users,
that's also easy to maintain for developers (and for users to
contribute to, as well).

Should we make it  post 0.8.2 a priority to solve the documentation problem?