[IPython-user] win32: ctrl + break exits IPython immediately

rahul biswas rahul_25iitdelhi@rediffmail....
Fri Sep 7 13:28:57 CDT 2007

Hi,
I am getting the following error message while typing ipython.

[rahul@localhost ~]$ ipython
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/ipython", line 26, in ?
    import IPython
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/IPython/__init__.py", line 60, in ?
    __import__(name,glob,loc,[])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/IPython/genutils.py", line 38, in ?
    from path import path
ImportError: cannot import name path

I have python 2.4.3 version installed.
I have ipython-0.8.1-py24 installed.

Regards
Rahul.

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 Thomas Heller wrote :
>Fernando Perez schrieb:
> > On 9/7/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think this issue appeared with my new work computer (py 2.5.1,
> >> winxp). Ctrl + c is an ok keyboardinterrupt, ctrl + break exits
> >> IPython immediately with no crash reports or anything.
> >>
> >> Please try it on your win32 box and report back.
> >
> > I don't really know win32 signals, but it may be akin to a 'kill -9'
> > under *nix, which is also uncatchable.  If that's the case, there's
> > really nothing we can do, since that signal (the -9 under *nix) is
> > directly handled by the OS kernel, without giving the process a chance
> > to do anything at all.
>
>I think that the SetConsoleCtrlHandler function should be able to catch ctrl + break,
>but I cannot currently get it to work.
>
>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686016.aspx
>
>Thomas

RAHUL BISWAS