[IPython-user] Configuring your own editor, easily

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 7 14:52:58 CDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Setting up your own editor used to be a bit hard, but not anymore (the
> upcoming 0.8.2).
>
> The new ipy_editors.py has an easy way to configure the editor to use,
> ipy_user_conf.py has some examples.
>
> See
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/changeset/2733
>
> I hope this will lead to submissions for many existing editors; add
> the function to IPython/Extensions/ipy_editors.py and send in the
> patch. :-)
>
> (they probably won't make it to 0.8.2, of course).

Yup, very handy, thanks.  I'd already started using it (I saw the
commit) to enable gnuclient on some nasty debugging I'm doing here at
work...

Note: the docstring:

Definition:     ipy_editors.install_editor(run_template, wait=False)
Docstring:
    Gets a template in format "myeditor bah bah $file bah bah $line

    Installs the editor that is called by IPython, instead of the default
    notepad or vi.

should explain all the arguments.

Let's try to start putting docstrings in proper epydoc/rest format, so
porting this code over to the new branches is less painful later.